Thursday 10 July 2014

Cornersmith


I've got a list of all the eateries I want to go to and this place has been on it since it got quite popular last year on the blogosphere (maybe when it opened) and it seemed to still generate good reviews so I thought I'd check it out.


I'm guessing this is for when they are really busy but luckily we didn't have to wait but it was quite busy at 11:20 on Wednesday when we went.




Friend got a blood orange juice which tasted like squeezed blood orange.


One of my friends had this Pear, Custard Apple and Cardamom milkshake which was quite milky and rich. Whilst it had a nice flavour and the cardamom wasn't too pronounced, it was hard to finish and it lost it's appeal over time.


I had the soft poached egg over blue lentils and potato with preserved lemon, feta and baby cos lettuce.

I was hoping this would be more substantial and I did get hungry quite quickly after. The egg was perfectly poached however there was a lot of lettuce and lentils. There wasn't much feta and I think I did get a chunk of some but I didn't recognise it and just thought it was a lump of salt that wasn't well distributed. There is a balsamic vinaigrette over the salad and the egg combined well with the lentils but it was quite an ordinary dish and something that could be re-created, I was pretty dissapointed. Next time, I think I would try the porridge if it's still avaliable.


One of my friends had the soft poached eggs with sourdough toast and pear and rosemary chutney, the eggs were again perfectly poached. The chutney was quite sweet and my friend didn't spear much on her toast.


My other friend had the Pasture raised pork salami, chili jam, cheddar and pickles sandwich. Sorry I didn't get a shot of the innards but she said it was decent but nothing special.

On a plus note, service was quite friendly but tables are very small and it was quite busy when we went so the 3 of us had to share a table. Also seating is very limited so I wouldn't come here with a large group of people. There are also seats outside but no tables.

Overall, I thought this cafe was cute but definitely overrated. We all thought the food was underwhelming, although I like the idea that the blackboard changes based on what's in season so we could've just come at a bad time as I've read other blog posts about it and a lot of the food seems really nice. I think this place would be a gem if I was a local and could just pop in to see what's on the menu but I wouldn't travel to visit here. The coffee is also supposedly good but none of us had any coffee that day. It is easy to get to if you don't drive as there is a train station in Marickville and it's only a short walk from there.

Cornersmith on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

  1. Hi ,

    Your first posts just appeared on Urbanspoon! Check it out:
    https://www.urbanspoon.com/r/70/1642011/restaurant/Sydney/Cornersmith-Marrickville
    https://www.urbanspoon.com/r/70/1646031/restaurant/Sydney/The-Grounds-of-Alexandria-Alexandria

    I encourage you to claim your blog, which allows you to add a picture and change some settings. The blog photo shows up next to your posts wherever they appear on Urbanspoon. Here's how to claim:

    - Make sure you're logged into Urbanspoon

    - Go to your blog page on our site: https://www.urbanspoon.com/br/70/13462/Sydney/coconut-mango.html

    - Click "Claim your blog" in the left sidebar

    After you submit it, we may contact you to verify your claim. Check your spam email folder if your claim hasn't gone through in a day or two. You'll also find some interesting badges and widgets on your Urbanspoon blog page - look in the right sidebar.

    If you have any questions, please contact me via email.

    Thanks,
    Greg

    www.urbanspoon.com

    --
    greg(at)urbanspoon(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I'd love more cafe reviews :)

    ReplyDelete