Thursday 10 July 2014

Donna Hay's Fresh & Light


I thought this was appropriate as a first post given my blog is called coconut & mango and this post features both those ingredients. 

Last year, I bought Miss Hay's cookbook 'Fresh and Light'. I've only made a few things but I've got several other recipes tagged. 

I love cooking seafood in baking paper and this book has a whole page spread dedicated to flavour combinations to jazz it up. The one I made involved placing raw fish in baking paper and I added some bok choy, sesame oil, lemon juice and soy sauce (but you can use XO sauce as well). 

I plan on making her coconut & lime salmon which involves putting cooked brown rice on the paper, a salmon fillet over it and adding a drizzle of coconut milk and a sprinkle of kaffir lime and chili flakes. 

I've also made her banana bread with mango and coconut, served with mango yogurt. YUM!


However, her classic hummus recipe wasn't such a success, although it's much healthier as it's made with greek yogurt. My favourite hummus is the Aldi Deli Originals hummus and Obela Roasted Pine Nut one. I love all the dips from Aldi though, in particular the spicy pumpkin, eggplant and sweet potato and cashew! 

My favourite dip of all time is the red rock deli roasted red capsicum, pecorino, cashews & basil one though, which is so incredibly more-ish/dangerous. 


I also tried her Raspberry and Oat muffins which were a little dry (tried it as soon as it cooled a bit) but if you microwave it for 20 seconds, it is pretty good especially with almond, cashew & brazil nut butter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment