Friday 11 July 2014

Eats Of The Week #3

I should probably mention I have uploaded so many posts today because I am moving a lot of it over to this new blog and re-writing some of it. Luckily, I didn't have too many to do.

I had my wisdom teeth pulled out 2 weeks ago and I was eating a lot of scrambled eggs, lots of avocado with very soft veggies, mashed banana, oatmeal and soups that week. I've got 2 more teeth to go, the actual process didn't hurt but I would take painkillers before the anaesthetic wears off. Here's a look into some of the things I made.

I made this incredible soup. I roasted 1kg of normal tomatoes, 1 onion and 2 bulbs of garlic (had tomato and garlic left over). I then added this, 3 cups of Massel vegetable stock, 2tsp garam masala, 2tbsp tomato paste and then added light coconut milk at the end (TLC brand, which is quite good!). Then blended it

I didn't have tin toil for the roasted garlic so I put the bulbs in muffin tins and drizzled some oil on the top.





I was really inspired to make more vegan meals and desserts after visiting Sadhana Kitchen in Enmore a few weeks ago and being blown away by the raw, vegan lasagne and hazlenut cheezecake. Both tasted better than regular lasagne and cheesecake and I already have a list of similar places I want to try.

I made some zucchini pasta with a creamy avocado sauce which was essentially 1/2 a mashed avocado, lemon juice and S&P with a side of pumpkin fries. I used 2 small zucchini and a grater. This was surprisingly filling and satisfying. I do love me some avocado though, especially as a butter substitute.


I also made possibly my favourite soup, ever. It's a simple, no frills, hearty chicken & vegetable soup, which I adapted using this recipe. 

I heated 1 tablespoon of oil and added 1 sliced leek and 2 cloves of smashed garlic and stirred it for a few minutes. Then added  2 small zucchini, 1 carrot, 2 sticks of celery and let stirred it. 


Then I added 1 1/4 cups soup mix, 2 chopped chicken breasts (around 600g), 5 cups salt reduced chicken stock (woolworths select brand), 2 cups massel vegetable stock and 1 cup water. Turned the heat to high and let that boil. 

After, I reduced the heat to low and let it simmer uncovered for 1hr. At the end of that hour, I added in another cup of water as the stock had reduced a little. Seasoned with S&P.


The chicken was incredibly tender and all the flavours worked so well together. It was exactly what I needed when I was sick. It's incredibly healthy, filling, tasty, versatile and makes around 6 serves so it's quite cheap as well. I would highly recommend trying it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment