Thursday 10 July 2014

Vietnamese Summer Rolls


This is one of my favourite things to make and eat as it's incredibly delicious, versatile and fun. However, it can take awhile with all the prepping involved.

Sauce: 1 teaspoon soy sauce, vinegar, almond butter (you could use peanut butter), 1/2 teaspoon of garlic, 1/4 teaspoon of chili paste sauce and chili oil. I added some chopped peanuts too, some salt and pepper. If you don't want to make it, you could use sweet chili sauce from a bottle but this sauce was really good! Peanut butter & vinegar as a dipping sauce for dumplings too.


In my roll, I used 1 grated carrot, 1 cup of lettuce, 1 mango sliced, 2 tablespoons chopped mint and 2 tablespoons chopped coriander, packet of the spring rolls wrapper (The one with the rose on it is the best I've found), vermicelli and 10 prawns.

With the vermicelli you can boil it with the prawns for about 5 minutes, take the prawns out maybe around 3 minutes and it should be done. I would recommend using half a packet of the vermicelli and cutting it into 4cm pieces before boiling otherwise it gets hard to manage.

I would recommend using a rectangular bowl instead of a round one as the latter will tear the wrapper. Put one wrapper in warm water and let it soak for 10 seconds (this allows it to still hold its shape).


Next place your filling onto the wrapper. I wouldn't put too much as the wrapper will rip and it's harder to roll. 



Next time I'll try the recipe in my Donna Hay cook book which involves prawn, mint, coriander and basil.

No comments:

Post a Comment